What is multi-factor authentication (MFA)? What are some facts? Does it cost a lot? Find out here!
Passwords are everywhere, we use them to access everything, our money, on our communications, our apps, our emails, our social media, our files… the list is endless! At the beginning we used to use one password but that soon became a liability due to cyber-criminals hacking these easily, so we began using single, more complicated, unique passwords and using password managers to manage all of them. No matter what we did, it was never enough to prevent hackers and account takeover because all it took was one phishing email or database exploit and your password was public knowledge. What was we meant to do? That is where MFA came in to play…
What is MFA?
MFA adds a second layer of security and method of identity verification to secure your accounts. First, the thing you know, your password then something unique that you have like your phone, or fingerprint. By combining your password with one of these factors, hackers cannot access your account even if they have your password.
The most common MFA systems use a unique one use code with every log in attempt, this code is tied to your account which is then sent to you via email or text message. The more modern MFA use a mobile app to send an approval notification to your smartphone or smartwatch for a quick and seamless approval. With 95% of breaches involving account takeover, MFA is the most effective method of prevention. It is time to ensure we use MFA on all of our accounts, whether they are business or personal.
MFA can protect 99% of account takeovers!
DUO is designed to be simple and frictionless for admins to install and even easier for end users to use.
This is how easy it is to install and use DUO:
- You receive an enrolment email or a prompt to set up DUO when you first log in to your account.
- You are then prompted to download the DUO app from your devices app store, scan the QR code on the computer screen with your phone or smart device and then it will be paired with your account.
- Next time you log in, you can send a push notification to your smart device to confirm your identity, it will show the details of the log in to ensure it is legit, all you need to do is approve and you are in!
- If you receive a push notification that you did not provoke, you simply deny authentication which will stop that access attempt and notify your admins.
- DUO also checks the security health of your devices, it will let you know if there are easy steps you can take to protect yourself, such as updating your device or turning on screen lock and biometrics.
- DUO is not an invasive app, no one will have access to what is on your device.
- You can use DUO on your smart watch too for quicker access.